Reading Society of Model Engineers
The Reading Society of Model Engineers (RSME) (originally the Reading Society of Model and Experimental Engineers) was founded in 1910. The society existed until the outbreak of WW2 in 1939, but was re-formed in 1948. It has been on its present site at the south-east corner of Prospect Park for over 40 years, on land leased from the local authority.
Our Aims are:
- To promote for the benefit of the inhabitants of Reading and surrounding areas the provision of facilities for recreation or leisure time occupation in the field of model engineering and allied subjects.
- To promote the education of young people aged 12 to 16, on the subjects of basic engineering, modelling skills and miniature railway operation.
- To advance the education of the public in general, in model engineering, and in the building, operation and maintenance of miniature locomotives
The Society welcomes all ages with individual, joint, family and junior memberships. Our evening programme in the clubhouse runs from about 7:30pm.
- Tuesday evenings – “OO” gauge
- Thursday evenings – A general club night with miniature engineering topics.
The “Wednesday Warriors” meet up during the daytime every Wednesday from about 9:30. This is an opportunity to learn about and get involved in work around the club, make new friends, socialise and perhaps learn and use a new skill.
The society also have an O gauge interest that is currently in hiatus due to the Covid pandemic. Hopefully this activities can be resurrected soon with enough interest.
CIO Registered Charity 1163244